10 Tips for Organizing Your Closet for Spring
As winter becomes spring, it is always a good idea to reorganize your closet. On March 7th, transFORM Senior Designers Ileen Greenberg and Nancy Silvestri joined forces with professional organizers Allison Segreto and Rachel Sager at transFORM’s New Rochelle showroom to teach over 20 attendees organizational tips for the upcoming season.
Here are 10 tips for getting your closet ready for spring:
1. You wear 20% of your clothes 80% of the time. If you have too many items you’re not wearing, have a mini-fashion show with your trusted friends who will tell you the truth about how you look in each outfit. Create 3 piles – one to keep, one to donate, one to toss.
2. Rearrange your closet so your winter clothes are in the corners and your spring/summer clothes are in the center.
3. Organize clothes by color and season. You can even get creative and organize shirts from sleeveless to long sleeves.
4. Hang pants on top and shirts on the bottom.
5. To keep socks in order, install dividers in your drawer to separate various colors and patterns.
6. Invest in a folding stepping stool. It’s convenient to store and easy to find when needed.
7. Space bags are good for reducing the size of bulky winter clothes and maximizing your space.
8. Go green and use paper towel tubes to keep your long boots standing upright for next fall.
9. Repurpose a paper towel holder for bangles and bracelets.
10. Just because you don’t like something anymore doesn’t mean someone else won’t like it. Host a swap party with your friends and trade clothes, jewellery, purses, and accessories.